Monday 9 July 2012

MUET Speaking

I had this insight after reading Kaz's post on MUET Speaking, so I would to share what I did with my students with all of you in case it can also benefit you and your students.

You remember, right, that I said MUET Speaking questions have 3 levels- personal/individual; societal/national; and international? Having known this, I make sure that before the Speaking Test, the students had attempted all these 3 types of questions.

I just brought one question, made copies for all groups (that means all groups attempting the same question) then taught them how to answer the question (in terms of what to say, what points to raise, etc). I have to warn that this takes time, so sometimes we only had time for Task A. Task B had to be done on another day. Remind yourself (I did this all the time) that we are focussing on THE PROCESS and not THE PRODUCT.

The other thing I did was to use past year questions. This also works as some of the questions are often repeated but with a new twist. However, do not take recent question, that is if for 2012, do not use questions from 2010 or 2011. Use questions that are like 5 years back as there are more chances of the questions to be repeated.

Hope this has been helpful and beneficial to you.

-Shariza Abbas


2 comments:

  1. Thanks for the sharing Azlan.

    God bless.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have tried the suggested method...it works wonders especially with my weak students...
    thanks a bunch
    zurina

    ReplyDelete